Dog Years

Friday, June 11, 2010 | by Elaine | Labels: , , , , , , |

Living with a dog can be full of wonderful experiences and laughter. Dogs have a uncanny knack for finding a place to live and fit into in our lives, families, friendships, homes and hearts. They do it so well that it's hard to imagine life without them.

Although it's not something I like to dwell on the truth is every dog owner will have to be faced with the loss of their dear friend and companion. Over the years as a dog walker I have shared with clients the experience of life and loss of their beloved dogs, all were lost to cancer. I am always comforted by knowing how loved and cared for each dog had been. All dogs should be so lucky.

Last week my dog a nine year old boxer mix, Justice, was diagnosed with three mast cell (cancerous) tumors. I am now faced with the cold reality that he may not live for much longer.
Though not at all glamorous, I always pictured him in old age white faced, lumpy from fatty tumors, stiff with arthritis and bluish gray eyes from cataracts. It saddens me that I might not get to experience that with him.

Today I am going to have a consultation with his awesome veterinarians to find out what out treatment options are. I'm keeping in mind that a cancer diagnosis isn't always terminal, Renna, Jessica's nine year old black lab has been cancer free for four years now.

To learn more about canine cancer and to join the Canine Cancer Campaign please visit the Morris Animal Foundation.

Pictured below are the great dogs Jessica and I have been lucky to have known.


In Loving Memory Of ~

Sammy


Jake


Logan


Sanger

“Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.”
~Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i've seen your posts and it's been hard for me to respond because it's just still to fresh for me. but know that i'm thinking of you and justice and hoping with all my heart that the two of you will get to experience stiff hips, bluish eyes and all the wonderful love a senior dog brings.

Post a Comment